Recommended movies 2021

• Administrators

Obviously not much being produced in Hollywood right now due to the big scary virus that's KILLING EVERYBODY ALL OVER THE WORLD.

I do recommend Ex Machina - - intelligent and thought provoking movie.  And you - what do you recommend?

• Administrators

Some really fantastic and unusual recommendations there.  I haven't heard of most of those movies and I keep a pretty close eye on the movie scene.

Blue ruin downloading as we speak! Thanks!

blue ruin.jpg

A Sigma's in film thread might be a fun add on:

The Rules of Attraction - Sean Bateman - *to me, this is one of the most obvious, also a very good flick

Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) - Edward Norton's character

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - Brad Pitt's character

Random Spaghetti Western - Clint Eastwood's character

Star Wars - Han Solo

The Master - Freddy Quell (*although a very flawed character, note how his peers are afraid of him in the opening scenes)

Fight Club - *Brad Pitt's character - you could say that the whole movie is a metaphor for self confidence: if you look like Ed Norton but act and believe that you embody all of Pitt's positive attributes, that presents you as confident. He looked physically unimpressive, yet he started a movement and people are in awe of him. I strongly think this movie whether intentionally or not shows you what self belief can do.

Of course there are many others, and after I press submit, a whole bunch will occur to me, but I'll leave it there. I look forward to any other examples others here may have.

• Administrators

Black Mass.  Rewatched - great movie.  Did a bit of research on Whitey Bulger after watching the movie - he was far worse than Johnny Depp's portrayal.  Seriously, watch the movie and do a bit of digging afterwards.  Watch some of the 60 minute interviews with his former gang members. 

Brutal.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Escape At Dannemora, a TV series based on a true story of 2 prisoners who escaped from the Clinton Correctional Facility in New York.  Cracking plot, actors and interesting insights into an early 50s female prison worker who had relations with both escaped convicts.  

Also fascinating to delve into the prison ecosystem and observe the hierarchy at play.  Of course, Benicio Del Toro is always worth a watch..

Recommended.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

Time to update this with some more movies! I know you lot look forward to it.

And come on..Tell us all your movie recommendations. Share the love!

Right. 1st up is The Invitation (2015)  Cracking little thriller , slightly predicatable but some good scenes.  I actually watched it because John Carroll Lynch is in it.  A vastly underrated actor in my opinion, and he plays the creepy guy exceptionally well.

john carroll lynch.jpg

Recognise him? You might do..He plays the husband of the female cop in Fargo (another cracking movie by the way), and the main suspect in Zodiac...My 2nd recommendation.

Zodiac (2007) - Psychological thriller about the infamous Zodiac Killer who terrorised San Francisco in the late 60s and early 70s.  I won't spoil the plot, but the acting and directing is superb.   Eerie music and atmosphere permeates the entire movie and creates the horror for you.

I always choose movies by the director, and David Fincher is one of the best out there. Check it out : 

Known for his psychological thrillers, his films have received 40 nominations at the Academy Awards, including three for him as Best Director. Born in Denver, Colorado, Fincher developed a passion for filmmaking at an early age

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Hot damn this was one of the most entertaining movies I've seen in ages..Once upon a time in Hollywood by Tarantino.

I'm going to post a total spolier, but this 6 minutes is some of the most insane and utterly hilarious violence I've ever seen in a movie.  It's actually cathartic and I know what Tarantino is up to, if you've ever heard of the Manson murders you'll get an inkling of what he's attempting here.

If you want to watch the movie, don't watch the clip, it will kind of ruin it..But if not , sit back and enjoy..And don't be one of those short attention span geeks who fast forwards it.  Just watch the whole damn thing!

• Administrators

Cracking movie.  Very Sigma character and Redford as good as ever.  If you're a short attention span kind of guy..Well , sort it out and watch it anyway.  Will do you good!

• 2 weeks later...